HOCKEYUNPLUGGED  /  NHL  /  NEWS

Scary Situation Sends Over A Dozen Hockey Players To The Hospital

Published February 12, 2024 at 9:24
BY
SHARE THIS STORY
FOLLOW US

It was a scary situation that could have turned much worse if not for the quick response of officials. Over the weekend, a hockey arena in Australia was evacuated, and numerous players and spectators were rushed to the hospital after a carbon monoxide leak was detected.

Following a game at Thebarton Ice Arena in Adelaide, 16 players from the Melbourne women's ice hockey team were hospitalized and diagnosed with carbon monoxide poisoning.

They had just finished a game against Adelaide on Friday afternoon, and two of the players had to be admitted to the hospital. Upon discovering the leak, officials immediately cleared the arena, and an additional 22 individuals were hospitalized with symptoms.

Local fire service suspects that the elevated levels of carbon monoxide originated from the Zamboni machine used to resurface the ice.


"It's immediately out of service. We have a back-up machine as well, so that will be put into service," said Ice Arena manager Richard Laidlaw.

Ice Hockey Australia stated that there is no mandate for rinks to have carbon monoxide detectors, leaving the decision to local rink operators. Officials assured they would monitor the arena's levels for the next 12 hours to ensure it was safe.

Source: Bladeofsteel
POLL
February 12   |   58 answers
Scary Situation Sends Over A Dozen Hockey Players To The Hospital

Have you ever been in a situation like this?

Yes1424.1 %
No4475.9 %
LIST OF POLL
Latest 10 stories